Here at Ocean City Marketing, we use Woocommerce to build our eCommerce websites.
WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin that can transform an existing WordPress website into a true eCommerce store.
Essentially, WooCommerce builds upon the initial capabilities of WordPress and adds eCommerce functionality.
WooCommerce allows you to sell anything on your website. It’s primarily used to sell physical products, like jewelry, coffee, t-shirts, beard oils, and basically anything else under the sun. However, it doesn’t end there, you can use WooCommerce to sell digital products as well.
You can sell eBooks, courses, and even allow people to book appointments or make reservations.
In the beginingWooCommerce started with a company called WooThemes, a premium WordPress theme company, founded by Mark Forrester, Magnus Jepson, and AdiiPienaar. They achieved success with a handful of their premium themes.
But things were about to change quickly when they brought on two developers, James Koster and Mike Jolley. They were working on a previous eCommerce software known as Jigoshop.
Once the company was sold, they got to work on WooCommerce.
The first version of WooCommerce was launched in 2011, and it only took two years to achieve 1 million downloads!
In 2015, WooCommerce was purchased by Automattic, the same team that’s behind WordPress. Since acquiring WooCommerce, Automattic has become the leading developer of WooCommerce. In that same year, the plugin surged to over 7 million downloads and powering over 30% of eCommerce stores online.
Today WooCommerce remains one of the most popular and most flexible eCommerce tools in the world. Which is why we use this here at Ocean City Marketing.
The big benefit of WooCommerce hosting is that it can handle a lot of basic website maintenance, setup, and security for you. That means you can focus on the fun part – growing your store.
With WooCommerce hosting, you’ll typically get:
- Automated WordPress and WooCommerce setup so you can get right to work on your store.
- Daily backups, so your data is always safe.
- Increased security so you can protect your user information.
Lets take a look at why WooCommerce is the right choice.
It’s Equipped With Nearly All the Features You Need
Right out of the box, WooCommerce is equipped with all the features you need to run a successful store. For example, here’s a quick look at some of the features it comes with:
- You can sell any product you like, whether that’s physical or digital.
- You can add multiple product attributes, tags, categories and more to each feature.
- You can add product reviews and star ratings to your products.
- You can let your customers filter your store by type of product, overall popularity, star rating, and more.
- You can integrate your store with multiple different payment providers like PayPal, Stripe, credits cards, and more.
- You can quickly customize the layout of your storefront with the near unlimited selection of themes.
- You can quickly add whatever feature you desire via the extension marketplace or plugin library.
It’s Flexible and Scalable
Even though WooCommerce is a plugin in and of itself, there are thousands of extensions and plugins that will enhance the functionality even further.
This means that you can create an online store that functions precisely how you’d like it to.
You’ll get access to improved marketing tools, store management features, payment options, shipping, and a lot more.
The Shopping Cart is Feature-Packed
The actual checkout process is an incredibly important part of running a successful online shop. A lot of your visitors will actually abandon their carts during checkout, so you’ll want to do everything possible to make this experience as seamless as possible.
Think about how easy it is to buy products from Amazon. All it takes is literally a couple of clicks, and the product is on its way to your door.
WooCommerce gives you a ton of different options to customize your shopping cart.
For example, here are a few different shopping cart features included right out of the box:
- Add a multitude of different payment gateways including, PayPal, Stripe, credit cards, and even cash or check.
- Enable geolocation to calculate taxes based upon the location of your visitor automatically.
- Checkout customization options like choosing the countries you’ll sell too, allow guests to checkout without creating an account, forcing a secure checkout and more.
- Redirect your visitors to their cart once a product is added.
Packed With a Ton of Product Options
Selling products online is a different experience than selling in person. When people go into a store to purchase products, they can actually see the item and how it looks and functions.
When you’re online, the only thing your visitors have to go by is your images, description, and maybe a product video. As a result, you’ll want the ability to custom tailor each product listing, so you can give your shoppers all the information required to make an informed purchase.
Here are some product features you’ll have access to right out of the box:
- You can add as many products as you’d like to your store, your only limits are your existing hosting account.
- You can add as many product types as you’d like as well, whether that’s digital, physical, eBooks, product packages, and more.
- You’ll have near unlimited product variations as well, from sizes, colors, images, discount pricing, and more.
WooCommerce also makes it easy to manage your product inventory. You’ll receive email notifications when a product is running out of stock or is currently on backorder.
Multiple Shipping Options Come Built-In
With an eCommerce tool, you not only want something that makes selling easy but also shipping products to your customers. Fast and secure shipping not only makes your customers happy, but it makes your life a lot easier as well.
With WooCommerce, there are a ton of different shipping options built-in. For example, you can let your customers choose from international shipping, flat rate, local delivery, or even local pickup. There’s an automated shipping calculator built-in, or you can also offer your customers free shipping if it makes sense for your bottom line.
You even have the ability to hide the shipping rate until your customer enters their address, and even let your customers enter a separate shipping address.
Plus, with the myriad of extensions available, you can add even more options, like automated tracking, upsells after checkout, and more.
Contact Us to discuss Ocean City Marketing building your eCommerce website using WooCommerce.